Thursday, September 20, 2012

Children and Chores


Daily Reading: Proverbs 31:10-31

     Yesterday I wasn’t feeling well.  I asked the boys to do their chores and then they could do what they wanted for the rest of the evening.  Besides not feeling well I was absorbed in the computer doing things that could have waited.  Later, as I got ready for bed I realized I had not ate that evening.  As I walked into the kitchen, food fled from my mind.  The dishes weren’t done.  The laundry wasn’t done.  Leftovers clung to the sides of the pan.

      Even after I had asked if their chores had been done they had lied.  They had done what they wanted.  How could I ever get these two teenage boys (almost men) to realize that chores are a part of life that has to be done?  The result was waiting until morning then starting a new day off chastising them, filling the boys with anger, frustration and resistance, planning what punishment would be given when they came home.  The punishments overwhelmed me as I thought; No television and video games, remove the electronics from their rooms, take away the cell phones, cancel their weekend plans, earlier bedtimes. 
 
     I prayed for a biblical passage to show the boys.  Using BibleGateway.com I searched for  chore, nothing came up.  I searched task.  17 Results, the first six results didn’t fit their crime.  The 7th one, (Really GOD 7th?) cried aloud. Proverbs 31:17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. My favorite Proverb, Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character.  A new thought floated in.  What was my punishment?  I too hadn’t done my chores.  I hadn’t guided and encouraged.  I hadn’t gotten up from the computer and checked their work.  I had been as bad as the boys.

     As women (and men) it is our duty to work diligently that our families may prosper.  27She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. My idleness yesterday helped our household to go awry.  My boys are not yet men and it is my responsibility and task to instruct them, over see them and their work.  It is I who needed punishment and chastising for not doing my chores. 

When the Master and Mistress slack off the rest of the household will too. Remember that we must do our chores and tasks first before we can enjoy the fruits of our labor.

Additional reading: Ecclesiastes 2:26, Romans 15:28

No comments:

Post a Comment